BAKERSFIELD, Calif. (KGET) — A settlement has been reached in the case of a boy with Down Syndrome who died after choking on a hot dog at a movie theater.
The terms of the settlement, reached Wednesday, are confidential, but the boy’s family is pleased with the outcome, said plaintiffs’ attorney Timothy M. Osborn.
“I can tell you that, once again, I’m extremely proud of this family,” Osborn said. “I think they’ve shown true grit over the past three years in this legal battle.”
BAKERSFIELD — A settlement has been agreed to in the case of a 14-year-old boy who choked to death on a hot dog at a Bakersfield movie theater.
Attorney Timothy M. Osborn confirmed to 23ABC News that the victim’s family and Reading Cinemas have agreed to a settlement, ending a civil lawsuit filed over the boy’s 2014 death. Osborn said the settlement included a confidentiality clause, preventing him from revealing the terms of the agreement, including any financial compensation.
A wrongful death lawsuit of a 14-year-old boy with Down syndrome who choked at a movie theater and died in 2014 was settled Wednesday.
The terms of the settlement are confidential, though the Mendiola family — the plaintiffs in the case — are “pleased with the outcome,” said Tim Osborn, attorney for the Mendiola family.
Jacob Mendiola was the heart of his family — the life of the party, a friend to anyone he came across.
On Oct. 30, 2014, the 14-year-old boy with Down syndrome went with his grandfather Ricardo Mendiola to see “The Book of Life,” an animated children’s movie, at Reading Cinemas in Bakersfield.
Video footage from that day shows a happy, excited and cheerful Jacob at the snack bar with his grandfather before the movie began, but it ended with emergency medical technicians wheeling Jacob out of the auditorium on a stretcher. He choked on a hot dog, causing his airway to become blocked, and his heart stopped beating, said Tim Osborn, attorney for the Mendiola family.
BAKERSFIELD, Calif. (KGET) — A wrongful death lawsuit alleging employees at a movie theater in Bakersfield failed to turn on the lights or stop the film as a 14-year-old boy with Down syndrome lost consciousness while choking on a hot dog is scheduled to go to trial this summer.
On Aug. 12, almost five years after the death of Jacob Mendiola, the lawsuit filed against Reading International Cinemas, LLC, on behalf of Jacob’s mother and grandfather, is set to be brought before a jury.
Plaintiffs’ attorney Timothy M. Osborn said theater employees had no training on what to do in the event of an emergency. Reading had no policies and procedures in place for stopping a film, turning the lights up or lowering the audio.
A wrongful death lawsuit has been filed on behalf of family members of a Bakersfield couple who were engaged to be married when a big rig slammed into the back of the car they were in, killing them.
BAKERSFIELD, Calif. (KERO) New details in the crash that killed a Bakersfield couple just weeks before their wedding day were shared with 23ABC Friday.
You may remember the story of Mathew Woodall and Nicolett Conley. They died on their way to Las Vegas, just days before they were set to say, “I do.” Now, their loved ones are taking legal action.
BAKERSFIELD, Calif. (KGET) The family of a Bakersfield couple killed in a crash last summer, just weeks before their scheduled wedding, is now taking legal action.
33-year-old Mathew Thomas Woodall and 31-year-old Nicolett Elaine Conley were engaged to be married on July 27, 2017.
The trial for a wrongful death case against Reading International Cinemas, which alleges a 14-year-old boy with Down syndrome choked to death as Bakersfield theater employees refused to turn on the lights or stop the film, is now scheduled for March of next year.
A wrongful death lawsuit filed against Reading International Cinemas alleges a 14-year-old boy with Down syndrome choked to death on a hot dog as employees at a Bakersfield movie theater refused to turn on the lights or otherwise help the victim.
Dram Shop – Premises Liability – Inadequate or Negligent Security
Plaintiffs: Negligent security at bar/restaurant resulted in shootings
A California Radio Shack employee stole racy personal pictures off a customer’s cellphone after she brought it in to have its broken glass repaired, police said.
A former RadioShack employee in Corte Madera was charged with stealing revealing photos from the smartphone of a woman who had brought in the device to have its cracked screen fixed.Continue Reading
A former employee at the Radio Shack in Corte Madera is charged with stealing racy personal photos off a customer’s cellphone.
Jose Robert Miranda, 24, of Richmond is scheduled to be arraigned Monday in Marin Superior Court. He is free on bail.
Miranda and Radio Shack have also been named as defendants in a civil lawsuit by the alleged victim, a 28-year-old San Francisco woman.Continue Reading
Dangerous Condition – Worker/Workplace Negligence – Workplace Safety